Cochabamba, Bolivia Temple

Cochabamba, Bolivia Temple

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

First Week

Hey guys! Just starting the second week here at the CCM down in México. The first week has been pretty aiight and fun. After being dropped off at the airport and making my way through security, I ran into a whole bunch of other Elders and Hermanas heading down to the CCM with me, so I got to talk to a bunch of people while waiting for the time to board. I was not only blessed with an aisle seat close to the front, but also with another Elder sitting next to me (not that we talked at all; reading is too important). Got all my stuff together quickly and easily, then waited a little while as the people in charge gathered all the new missionaries and prepared us for transport to the CCM. The trip from the airport to the CCM was interesting, as the bus driver was driving the same crazy way all the other drivers drive in México City.

When we finally arrived at the CCM, we got all checked in and made sure all our shots were up to date and check any allergies. I, being the extremely well-prepared person I am, cruised through the check-ins and went straight to have some dinner (it was probably around 5:45 when I finished). Got absorbed by some cool, older Elderes (I think they were 4 weeks in), the only name that i remember is Elder Han though. After dinner (must not have been too good because I forgot what it was) grabbed all my stuff and went to find my new casa, casa 44. Ends up I got roomed with Elder Gundersen, Elder McInelly, and Elder Escobar (all great people by the way) with Elder Gundersen as my compañero. Went to some more meetings, I think, and eventually retired to bed.

Waking up sucked. The bed, albeit hard, was extremely comfy as 6:30 in the morning. Breakfast was a welcome event though. Don´t remember much about Thursday, except that there was so many long, boring info meeting (I dozed off a few times I admit) and I saw Elder Hart just after lunch (also a welcome event). I think we started language study, but I don´t remember. Dinner was pretty good, but sleep was amazing.

Friday was a day of horror. We had to give our first lesson (en español of course) to an ´investigator´ that night. Also, more boring meetings. There was also a lot of studying (cramming) the first lesion en español that day. Meet the whole district (16c woo), I think it was Friday at least, and they´re all pretty awesome too. Our district consists of 8 Elderes y 4 Hermanas. Also meet the Branch presidency (branches are formed by zones) of 16, and they had the great idea to call me as the district leader (ugh more work), although this might also have been on Thursday. I am trying to forget these two days because they kinda sucked.
 
Saturday was better. Elder Gundersen and I were decently satisfied by our first lesson to our ´investigador´ Enrique Palma, but we had no time to celebrate because we had to plan another one. This time we planned to introduce el Libro de Mormón and read the introducción with him, which went pretty OK. There was a meeting or two, but they were not nearly as bad the first two days.

Sunday was pure meetings all day, from the leadership meeting in the morning to the devotional in the afternoon. Of course, our district had to do the Santo Cena since it was our first week, but it went pretty well, considering there is only about 60 people in our branch. Learned about ordinances in priesthood and the Restoration in sacrament meeting. For lunch we had hamburgers. They definitely not the best burgers ever, but it was nice to have some American food. The devotional was a talk on prayer by Elder Richard G. Scott (video) sobre oración, and was really good. Had Elder Gundersen help me give a blessing of comfort to one of the Hermanas since she was having difficulties. She´s doing a lot better now.

Monday and Tuesday were pretty much the same; language and gospel studies all morning. Monday afternoon we studied español while Tuesday afternoon we helped decorate the Comedor for Mexican Independence Day, which is evidently in about two weeks. Also got to have gym time both days, never thought I would look forward to running around and doing something before. Monday night we had to give another lesson to Enrique, this time about baptism, and got him to commit to baptism (yay). Don´t tell anyone, but he is actually already a member and will be our teacher in the future. Shh. Had a devotional Tuesday night instead of teaching, which was given by an Area 70 from México, Elder Walker, about being one in the gospel and teaching.

Today, Wednesday, is our district´s first P-day, so I can actually email people. We got to go visit the Visitor´s Center today, which was pretty cool. got some pretty sweet pictures that I´ll try to include in this email. If not, whatever, I´ll get them to you somehow. Haven´t received any letters as of yet though.

One of the Elders from our District is from England (Lester I think he said) and is an absolutely amazing guy. I, of course, have been the typical freedom-loving American I am with Elder Smith, and he has been pretty English back (our ´bantering´ is very ´posh´). The entire district has been awesome, and we get along well. The food here has been great, but I am convinced the time for sleeping needs to be increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment