Cochabamba, Bolivia Temple

Cochabamba, Bolivia Temple

Monday, January 5, 2015

Woo Año Nuevo (Woo, new year!)

Hurray for the year 2015! In celebration we ate a bunch of grilled sausages the night of 31 before going to bed at the normal time. Very exciting stuff I know. We also learned of our cambios (transfers). It appears that i'm still needed here in Los Pinos, but I was joined with the giant Elder Fleming. He was born in Texas but moved to Arizona (woo) at 16 in Snowflake. He's only 6ft 6in, so it's not too bad. Kind of funny to see a giant and a normal-ish gringo (white guy) walking down the street in shirt and tie, so we get more than our far share of glances. The good thing is that he is super and loves to work. After the struggle of getting up in the morning of course.
 
So this semana (week) wasn't too exciting as we were waiting for investigators to return and the fiestas to calm down from every night to the usual every other day or two. Plus the exciting cambios (transfers). Anyway, the biggest thing of note this week is that on Friday it rained literally all day. There was no full stop, only moments when it wasn't pouring. As such, there was a lot of water and mud for a few days, but it lessened a little with the excess heat that follows the rain here. Fun times.
 
The good and happy news is that Hna Claudia (the mujer (woman) that contacted us) not only accepted a date for baptism, but is actually reading and praying about the Book of Mormon. As for the rest of our investigators, we still havn't really been able to make contact with them. I hope they're not dead...
 
During my studies this week, I was reading in the first chapter of Juan about the testimony of Juan el Bautista (John the Baptist) of the Christ. It's a beautiful read from a prophet of God testifying of the Son of God, who also had the oportunity to meet and baptize Him. However, much of the testimony was not complete or wholly accurate. As such, the first 34ish verses were retranslated by José Smith and included in the index of the Biblia. It's interesting to see the things lost by time or changes, but lucky we have the promise of God that all things will be restored.
 
Sorry if this letter is a little short, but we were told to finish more 'on time' then normal since we're going to the zoo today (woo!) so next week will include some fun photos.
 
With Love,
Elder Yates
 
 
***Just a side note from Mom Yates here. I absolutely LOVE social media and how frequently I can see my son on Facebook. Funny thing with the new transfer, I learned all about his new companion through Facebook before I even received his letter. Within hours of a picture being posted I received a friend request from Elder Fleming's mom. This morning I received a message from her that I just had to share...
 
Part of Elder Flemings email today...

The ward is really awesome! My comp is really awesome too! He is one of the best companions that I have had. He is really kind and always helping me out and is always serving me. That is what I really love about it. Tell his Mom that he is one of the Best missionaries that I know! New Year has passed and I am really excited to be here in a New Ward with a New Companion. I am really going to enjoy this time in Los Pinos 2 with Elder Yates! I am PUMPED!

He is really enjoying your son, sounds like he is an amazing missionary. It makes me so happy to hear that Elder Fleming has another wonderful companion. Thank you

She also mentioned that she got to talk to her son briefly while he was online and that he said a lot of nice things about Elder Yates then too. She passed on to me that Elder Fleming really likes Elder Yates, which as a mom I love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment